Friday, October 28, 2005

Sooner time

The consensus of opinion seems to be that Nebraska-Oklahoma lacks the game's traditional excitement because neither team has a national ranking for the first time since, when, 1961? National significance or not, however, the old excitement will be there for me (and I would guess many from my generation) when I see those maroon Oklahoma helmets, gumballs they look like, with the OU on the sides. Nebraska-Oklahoma represents the best in college football for me, just as Ohio State-Michigan probably represents it for folks in Michigan and Ohio. It doesn't get any better than Nebraska-Oklahoma, regardless of what the Big 12 has done to the series. Having said that, I'm surprised that consensus among those with whom I come in daily contact seems to be that the Cornhuskers will win, without question, a confidence that makes me wonder as the game approaches. Certainly, Oklahoma has dropped dramatically given preseason expectations. But the Sooners' decline doesn't diminish the fact that they have had highly ranked recruiting classes, which means they should have talent. Also, their three losses are hardly disgraceful. Texas and UCLA, of course, are undefeated, and TCU is hardly a pushover -- plus, that was the opening game, when uncertainty at quarterback can be a real problem. In addition, the fact that Oklahoma had to play overtime to beat Baylor at home can be countered by the fact that Nebraska had to play overtime to beat Iowa State at home. And Iowa State hasn't exactly met expectations this season. Also, when Nebraska played Baylor, everyone agreed that the Bears had improved, so why wouldn't that improvement apply in the Oklahoma game as well? Is there such a thing as selective improvement? Not that I'm aware of. A healthy Adrian Peterson would make a big difference probably, and though he could play, he probably won't be full speed. But we still don't know what would happen if a team tried to line up and run at Nebraska in an attempt to nullify the speed at linebacker and take advantage of their size. Rhett Bomar is no doubt improving at quarterback and though he hasn't run a lot (and averages less than a yard and a half per carry because of the losses), he has the speed to do so. Nebraska has the advantage of playing at home, but I'm hard-pressed to sell Oklahoma short. I've been conditioned to think that way probably by all those seasons when Barry Switzer was the coach. Tom Osborne's record against Oklahoma during Switzer's time was 5-12, and 8-1 after. That's my frame of reference. A week ago, I would have picked Nebraska, regardless of what happened at Missouri. But the more I look at it and the closer it gets, the more that seems optimistic.

Posted by Mike Babcock @ Friday, October 28, 2005 ||

Comments:
Go Ohio State! All those Michigan players talk game but they can’t hang. I wanted to bet my friend from highschool who goes to Michigan that they won't win. Then he told me we could go to Pokerblue and play their Freeroll Texas Hold'em poker Tournament for Ohio State and Michigan students. As football fans we battle our rivals at the poker table. Winners get 2 free tickets to that rivalry, $100 for tailgating, and qualify for the next round where National Championship Rose Bowl tickets and $2000 travel package are the grand prize. I'm all over this. Here is a great site for tournament info.
Posted by Blogger PokerGuy12 : 6:28 PM
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


HuskersHQ BLogger Network

Previous Posts

Archives

Links